The name "Halifax" was taken from the nearby Halfiax Bay, which had been named by Captain James Cook, safter the Earl of Halifax, then First Lord of the Amiralty.
In 1882 the first Hotel in Halifax was built, known as the "Copnell's Hotel" or Railway Hotel, owned by William Copnell. In 1866 it was renamed the "Halifax Hotel" where it traded until this Hotel was destroyed by fire in 1902.
In 1903 the Halifax Hotel was again rebuilt and owned by St. John Robinson and later Vittoria Fenoglio, the VF is still noticeable in the stone work above the front door. However this hotel was also destroyed by fire in 1931.
At this time a homestead by the name of "Riverview" just off the Lucinda Point Road was owned by an August Anderssen, this homestead was demolished and used in the construction of the new Halifax Hotel, which still stands today.
The Homestead can be noted throughout the current hotel, the original staircase still exists, so too does the wrought iron on the balcony and the original brickwork.
Today the Halifax Hotel is a family run Hotel, which caters for all shapes, sizes and ages.
For the young at heart we have a kids playground, swimming pool, pool tables, arcade games and playstation consoles. And for the young at heart, but not necessarily in body we have KENO, poker machines and the all new "UBET" (TAB self service) terminals.
The Halifax Hotel is situated only 9 kilometres off the Bruce Highway, just North of Ingham, on the way to the gorgeous beaches of Taylors Beach and Lucinda, and of course the gateway to the unspoilt Hinchinbrook Island.